Pages

12/22/2011

Sentimental Recipes - Great-Grandma's Banana Bread

What does a snowy day mean to you?  Cozied up by a fire?  Wrestling a house full of stir-crazy kids?  Maybe you get more house-cleaning done because you are cooped up.  Or perhaps you are in-tune with your surroundings and give in to the urge to get out a make some snow balls.  Well, for me I love to sit and watch the snow fall from inside a warm house.  And then I want to bake.  

And today is one of those snowed-in (not really, but I'll keep telling myself that) days.  If the snow is coming down, I must turn on the oven and get baking.  It is inevitable that these winter months will bring on the pounds with it.  But I just can't help myself.

So, what I thought I'd share with you are some family recipes.  It's kind of funny as I was thinking about what recipes I wanted to share I wondered if there was any reason I should just keep them "in the family" and could not think of one reason that I should not share these with you.  So here goes.  Enjoy!


My Great-Grandmother's Banana Bread
(Her name was Grandma Baker - growing up I thought that was just what people called her because she liked to bake! Hehe!)

Yields: 1 loaf
1/2 c. margerine/butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 c. mashed bananas
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. milk

Mix butter, sugar and egg in large bowl until fluffy - on high speed.  In a separate small bowl mix bananas and milk.

Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Stir into sugar mixture alternately with banana/milk mixture.

Turn into greased 9x5x3 loaf pan.  Bake in moderate oven (I love the language used here! ~ means 350*) 1 hour or until center springs back.

Cool in pan 5 minutes; then remove to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Share a thought. I'd love to hear from you.